Most documents or files you download are in PDF format. PDF stands for Portable Document format, and due to its portability, the format is highly prevailing.
There are numerous popular PDF readers available for Windows. But Android devices may not read PDF files by default if they don’t have any PDF reader apps installed.
Also, some available PDF readers are suitable only for reading and editing office documents but don’t provide satisfactory experience while reading e-books.
Here, we have compiled a list of the best Android PDF reader apps to read, edit, and share documents with ease.
Adobe Reader is the most common choice for many PDF readers and editing applications.
Not just a computer, Adobe Acrobat Reader for Android lets you read any PDF files stored on your SD card, Google Drive, emails, or phone memory.
Adobe Acrobat Reader scans all the PDFs on your device and makes them available under the “Local” tab.
Apart from PDF viewing, you can use the app to edit the PDF files, add text comments, highlight sentences, sign the document, etc. Users can also sign documents or forms through e-signing by using their touch screen.
Moreover, it offers a separate section for Dropbox support. If you have stored any PDFs in your Dropbox, you can access and edit them directly from your phone.
You can also create an Adobe Document Cloud account within the app to store files online. The pro version is available as an in-app purchase that unlocks premium features.
The app doesn’t display any ads.
Features of Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Advanced tools available
- Turn almost any file into a PDF.
- Excellent document compatibility
- Create accessible PDFs and verify accessibility in a few quick steps.
- Reliable form filling
- Create and apply customized actions to any PDF to save time and keystrokes.
- Access scanned documents via a free app
- Reduce the size of your PDF for easier sharing.
Xodo PDF Reader has a fast PDF viewing engine and offers smooth navigation. Users can access PDF files from their documents or web pages, create new PDF files, and add them to a new folder.
You can open your documents, highlight and underline text, add signature, arrows, circles, delete or rotate pages, etc. It automatically syncs your edited PDF files to Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive.
The app has a multi-tab document viewer, full-screen mode, bookmarks, a night mode for reading in low-light, and you can even set screen sleep mode.
Moreover, you can also open an existing image to create a new PDF or convert different formats like JPG, GIF, PNG, and TIFF files into PDFs.
This highly featured app is one of the best PDF Reader and Editor apps for Android. Furthermore, it is ad-free.
Features of Xodo PDF Reader and Editor
- Fastest PDF viewing engine and smooth navigation
- Write directly on a PDF, highlight and underline text, and more
- Auto-sync your PDF edits with Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive
- Open MS Office Word, PowerPoint, and Excel files for reading and annotating, and save as PDF
- Annotate PDFs with others in real-time
- Fill PDF forms and sign documents
- Take notes on blank PDFs
- Powerful file organizer
- Complete PDF support and compatible with other PDF viewers supporting standard PDF annotations
Foxit PDF Reader is a popular PDF Reader app with more than a hundred thousand installs recorded on Google Play and a rating of 4.6.
With Foxit Reader PDFs open quickly, you can control orientation with ease, text reflows to fit, and you can adjust brightness and change the background that is comfortable reading in all situations.
Simple annotation tools assist in adding notes, highlighting text, or drawing on the page. Also, Foxit’s Connected technology enables sharing comments and changes with others in real-time.
Form handling is a major plus in Foxit Reader that provides options to fill out and save forms, import and export their data and submit forms via HTTP, FTP, and email.
While Foxit’s core functionality is free, many more advanced features are only available if you subscribe, such as converting PDFs, combining files, password protection, digital certificates, OneDrive Business support.
Features of Foxit Reader
- Edit PDF text and images.
- Create a blank PDF.
- Convert Microsoft Office files, HTML, TXT, and image files to editable PDFs.
- Export PDF documents to Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, TXT, Image, RTF, and HTML files.
- Redact PDF content to protect sensitive information.
- Insert audios, videos, and hyperlinks to PDF.
- Add/verify digital signatures to PDF documents.
- Protect PDF documents with passwords.
- Reduce file size – PDF compression.
- Integration with OneDrive Business, iCloud, and SharePoint (SharePoint available for iOS only).
- Read and annotate Microsoft Rights Management protected files.
- Integrated Microsoft Intune support.
Google PDF Reader
Google PDF Viewer is the official Android PDF viewer by Google, but it doesn’t come preinstalled by default. Google PDF Viewer is lightweight and offers only a few necessary features.
However, it works reasonably well. Apart from viewing and reading PDF files, you can also search for particular words inside the document, zoom in, select specific text for copying, etc.
It integrates PDFs to Google Drive. Also, it won’t show any app icon on your launcher. You will get an option to open PDFs with the Google PDF Viewer when you open them.
Google has improved its feature and stability, making it the most reliable PDF reader for Android.
The app doesn’t display ads.
Features of Google PDF Reader
- Fast opening and viewing of PDF documents.
- Search, scroll, and zoom in and out.
- Choose single page or continuous scroll mode.
- Night mode / dark mode helps you read at night
- Friendly and easy to use interface
- Easily print and share PDF documents through another app.
- Read PDF as a book.
- Go-to-page directs you to the desired page.
Librera is one of the more exciting PDF reader apps. These days, Librera also bills itself as an all-in-one e-book reader. It supports numerous formats, including PDF, EPUB, EPUB3, MOBI, DJVU, ZIP, TXT, etc.
It also features a modern design, a night and day mode for more effortless reading at night, and more. You can even listen to books using Text-To-Speech if you want to.
The app is a bit buggier than most others on this list, but it’s also completely free (with advertising).
They have another PDF reader in Google Play. It goes by the bland name PDF Reader and also works pretty well.
Features of Librera
- Easy document discovery, with option-rich and configurable lists
- Auto-scan user-specified folders
- Browse catalogs, disks, and folders with an in-app file explorer
- Single-page view of dual-paged documents
- Word search in multiple documents (and multiple-word search)
- Online document format conversion
- Support for Online Catalogs (OPDS), book search, and download
All PDF is an interesting PDF app that’s free to use. While several other PDF readers are initially similar, All PDF comes with some nifty tools that help handle PDF files that are often charged-for features in other apps.
All PDFs can merge or split PDF files, which is a great feature in a free app.
All PDF lets you convert PDFs to images, control printing and sharing from the app, and reduce file size. There is also the ability to extract sections of text.
Organizing PDF files is made more accessible, too. You can also star the most important files and display all PDFs in a grid view, making it easier to find the PDF file you want.
When you close and re-open a file, you’ll go straight to the last page where you left, rather than restarting from the beginning and scrolling back down to that page.
Overall, this is an excellent little free app that can offer a little more than others.
Features of All PDF
- Quickly open any PDF document on your device from the list of all your PDF files or recent files.
- View the PDF files in a list or grid view, which shows file thumbnail
- Open PDF files from the file manager or directly from other apps.
- Scroll document pages and zoom in and out.
- Easily share PDF documents from this pdf reader.
- Merge or combine multiple PDF files into a single file using this pdf reader app
- Split a single PDF into multiple pages. The app will create every page as a single file.
- Re-order and arrange PDF pages easily by drag and drop a page preview.
Gaaiho PDF Reader
Gaaiho PDF Reader doesn’t get nearly as much attention as Adobe, Foxit, and the other big-name competition, but with Gaaiho’s 20+ years of experience in developing PDF software, it’s certainly worth a closer look.
The main viewing engine opens documents and files faster and offers a comfortable environment for reading, adding, and managing comments or checking any attachments.
Speedy options to add and edit bookmarks ensure that you can mark essential areas of any document and speedily return to them later.
Essential annotation tools include highlighting text or drawing lines, arrows, and assorted simple shapes.
Gaaiho PDF Reader offers direct support for accessing cloud files via Dropbox. Still, the ability to add other WebDAV servers provides it a level of flexibility that you won’t find elsewhere.
Features of Gaaiho PDF Reader
- Industry-leading document open speed
- View PDF package, comment, attachment, and encrypted document
- Free to choose single-page view or continuous view.
- Switch Day/Night modes easily to protect your eyes
- Click page number, enter a number, and go to the corresponding page
- Fast add and edit bookmark
- Search the content of the document
- Support text reflow, and keep the original font format for excellent display effects
EBookDroid is one of the lightweight and ad-free PDF apps for Android. It also works pretty well as an e-book reader too. The app supports different file formats as DjVu, PDF, XPS, EPUB, RTF, MOBI, and many.
This Android PDF reader offers split pages, manually crop margins, select or highlight texts, add notes, free-hand annotations, etc.
Moreover, it has a lot of customizable options. You can also change the interface style, customize the gesture shortcuts, adjust the format, etc.
Features of EBookDroid
- EBookDroid is a highly customizable document viewer for Android.
- EBookDroid supports many other e-book and document formats
- Text selection and external dictionary support.
- Text highlighting
- Free-hand annotations.
- Text notes and page notebooks.
WPS Office is one of the best office apps for Android, which offers integrated and good PDF reading features.
You can open any PDF files from your storage, crop them, add bookmarks, print, or save them to Cloud storage.
WPS Office allows you to scan paper documents to PDF using the mobile camera. Additionally, you can convert office documents and files created in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint to PDF.
By upgrading to the app’s premium version, you can unlock additional PDF features such as PDF signature, PDF merge, etc. The free version of the WPS Office supports the ad.
Features of WPS office
- Complete Office Suite.
- 100% Compatible with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Word-Class Text Editor.
- Much More Than Text.
- View Multiple Documents.
- Save To PDF.
- Collaboration Tools.
- Password Protection
PDF Reader Classic
PDF Reader Classic is a PDF app for Android, which is less known. However, it offers most of the necessary PDF viewing features and works quite well.
While opening any file, you can select it from three different reading modes.
It can be a good e-book reader and supports many other file formats such as EPUB, MOBI, DjVu, HTML, RTF, etc.
You can view presentations, comics, and sheet music as well. It includes multi-tab document viewing, text-to-speech support, night mode, favorites, bookmarks, etc.
All the features are available free, and it is ad-supported.
Features of PDF ReaderClassic
- Scan device and create the library
- List all the PDF Files stored in your phone, browse PDFs you have for PDF Reader
- Configure cover size and columns count
- Custom color themes, day and night switcher
- File manager with cover preview and file information (Author, Title, Size, Date)
- Go to the next page by the tap on the screen, volume keys, or hardware keys on e-ink devices like Sony, Nook, Onyx
- Auto-Scroll the document, real-time speed control.
With the apps listed above, you can quickly open and read PDF documents on your Android device. If you regularly use PDF forms or e-books, one of these handy tools will enable comfortable reading for them.
They all serve a different purpose and appeal to different tastes, so choose the one that’s best for you.