The web could be a safe space for kids in an ideal world. Unfortunately, that is far from reality, and as a busy parent, it’s not always possible for you to spend time monitoring your children while they are online.
This is where parental control apps will assist you by blocking access to explicit sites with inappropriate content or only permitting access to suitable sites. These apps can help you protect your kids.
The best parental control app looks after your children when you’re unable to, whether they are researching for a school assignment, communicating with friends, or simply enjoying surfing the internet.
It does not matter your child’s age or whether they are using a mobile device, Windows, or a macOS computer. Here, you will find the perfect parental control apps to help you monitor your children.
This gives you peace of mind knowing that your children are safe from inappropriate or adult content.
8 Best Parental Control Apps
Here are the most effective parental control apps that make it simple and easy to manage your family and children’s access to the internet:
Qustodio is an impressive parental control app that possesses each feature you might want to protect your kids.
Qustodio includes web content filtering, robust app blocking, and a detailed activity log.
You can handle all configuration and monitoring via Qustodio’s online dashboard or the parental mode of its mobile apps, which means you can set rules and review your kid’s activity from anywhere.
Qustodio provides a wide range of features and excellent customizability, making it the most effective parental control app for your kids.
Features of Qustodio:
- Excellent content filtering
- Lets parent set time limits
Pros of Qustodio:
- Well-designed web interface
- Comprehensive-time restrictions
- App blocking on desktop and mobile platforms
- Cross-platform support
- Intuitive app
Cons of Qustodio:
- VPN breaks web filter on desktop browsers
- Social media tracking limited to Facebook
Net Nanny is a parental control app best at tracking your child’s location, displays their location history, and sets a time limit and schedules equally well on both platforms.
It features excellent web-filtering technology and a modern, built-in design.
Net Nanny recently added content screening that works within different social media apps and services, including Instagram, TikTok, and YouTube, instead of blocking or allowing them entirely.
Features of Net Nanny:
- Great design
- Excellent web filters
- Near parity between Android, iOS versions
Pros of Net Nanny:
- Simple setup
- Capable screen time options
- App blocking
- Custom web filters
Cons of Net Nanny:
- Web filters defeated by Tor
- Relatively few preset web filters
- Limited geofencing features
Kaspersky Safe Kids
The parental control app Kaspersky Safe Kids lets you monitor your kids’ activities on PCs and Macs as well as on smartphones.
You can install it on an unlimited number of devices, and Kaspersky does pretty much everything you might expect from a modern parental control app, including app blocking, location monitoring, web filtering, and time management.
Likewise, Kaspersky’s safe kids’ new feature lets you block specific kinds of YouTube searches and review YouTube search history. It works on Windows, iOS, and Android, including the YouTube Android app.
Features of Kaspersky safe kids:
- Available for multiple platforms
- App and screen-time management
- Extra mobile-specific tools
Pros of Kaspersky safe kids:
- No limit on devices or child profiles
- Flexible control of device and app usage
- Robust web filtering
- Extensive alert system
Cons of Kaspersky safe kids:
- Several iOS limitations
- Content filtering limited to specific browsers
- Social monitoring only covers Facebook and VK
- Sluggish web interface
Norton Family, parental control app, lets you supervise your kid’s activity across an unlimited number of devices.
Norton Family offers you to monitor all of your kids’ activity from the well-designed web and mobile apps.
Norton Family provides you with location-tracking, time-scheduling, and web-filtering and monitoring capabilities that work on iOS and Android. Still, Norton’s time allowances are only for its Windows and Android software.
Features of Norton Family:
- Great web filters and monitoring
- Unlimited devices
- Works with Windows
Pros of Norton Family:
- Good web dashboard.
- No limit on the number of monitored devices.
- Easy setups and configurations.
Cons of Norton Family:
- Does not work on Macs.
- No geofencing.
- Time restrictions apply per device.
- Lacks cluster social media tracking.
OurPact is a convenient parental control application that offers many options and services in child control on mobile devices.
The app lets you monitor text messages and limits application timing to site filtering and locator capacities. Ourpact provides you with an extensive range of oversight and control tools.
Features of OurPact:
- Supporting platforms – iOS and Android
- Activity Record – Websites and social usage.
- Blocking and Filtering
- Ease of use
- Extra services
Pros of OurPact:
- Comprehensive FAQ section
- Smart internet screening
- Screen time restrictions
Cons of OurPact:
- Doesn’t work accurately on iOS;
- The restricted set of features;
- No Activity recording
Nothing gets past the KidLogger parental control app. KidLogger provides you with a wide range of features that help you to monitor your kid’s activities.
This parental control software not only tracks what your children type and which websites they visit – it also keeps a record of which programs they use and any screenshots they take.
If you’re concerned about who your kids might be talking to online, there’s even a voice-activated sound recorder.
If your children are a little older and more responsible, you can pick and choose which options to monitor and give them a little privacy.
Features of KidLogger:
- Galley insights
- Tracks outgoing/incoming calls
- Web history monitoring
- Record keystrokes
Pros of KidLogger:
- Compatible with Mac OS
- Contains essential monitoring feature
- Easy to install
Cons of KidLogger:
- The web site is not user-friendly
- Limited to Android devices
- Do not offer content filtering/application blocking options
Boomerang is a solid parental control app for Android and iOS that helps parents track their children’s web, app, and mobile activity.
Boomerang additionally enables you to construct geofences, monitor YouTube app activity, log calls, and SMS texts and set up always-allowed actions for emergencies.
Features of Boomerang:
- Limits Screen time
- Application controls
- Location tracking
- Device security
Pros of Boomerang:
- Good app and device usage controls
- Useful web filters
- Supports geofencing
- Call and SMS supervision on Android
Cons of Boomerang:
- Only monitors mobile devices
- Currently requires users to sideload Android app
- A single-device plan is pricey
- Limitations on iOS
Locate parental control applications for Android and iOS to keep track of your children’s activities and location.
The app primarily focuses on location and usage control services. Uniquely among parental control app providers, Locategy permits more than one “parent” device, enabling teachers, tutors, or other caregivers to access the control features.
Features of Locategy:
- Tracks your children’s location
- Limits application time
- Can view the current location and location history
Pros of Locategy:
- Excellent iOS app design.
- Accurate and well-implemented location tracking.
- App blocking and usage schedules.
- Free version available.
Cons of Locategy:
- No support for Macs and PCs.
- Lacks call and SMS blocking.
- No social media monitoring.
- Web filtering only works on specific browsers.