Microsoft Word is a word processor created by Microsoft. Microsoft Word was first released in 1983 for a variety of platforms.
While many people feel they are “forced” to use Microsoft Word for their paper construction needs, this is not the case.
Over the last few years, Many Microsoft Word and Office alternatives have been launched and gained popularity.
Some are in the paid version, and some are free often; the same organization provides both.
What Microsoft Word alternative is better for you is almost entirely decided by what you plan to use the software.
So, here are the top best Microsoft Word alternatives that you can instantly and conveniently start using today.
The most prominent Microsoft Word replacement on this list, Google Docs, is available for free to anybody with a Google account.
If you’re searching for the basic functionality of Microsoft Word, Google Docs is the way to go.
It manages all basic word processing requirements and is deeply linked with Google Drive and other Google apps. Users get to choose from various fonts, pictures, links, and diagrams.
You can use Google Docs to create, work on, and exchange documents, spreadsheets, presentations/reports, sketches, and forms.
You don’t have to think about losing your progress since it is stored in Google’s cloud—Docs autosaves for any single keystroke; even if you fail, you would be able to catch up exactly where you left.
Real-time collaboration is one of the standout capabilities of Google Docs, where users can collaborate on the same folder simultaneously.
- Free storage of up to 15GB.
- View the revision history of your document.
- Use Google Web Fonts to access loads of different free fonts.
- Integration of Google applications such as Gmail and Calendar.
- Online interaction in real-time for up to 50 concurrent participants.
- Manage permissions and set restrictions on what users can and cannot do in a folder.
Pros of using Google Docs:
- Completely cloud-based.
- Faster and smooth
- Can access my documents from anywhere.
- Any modification in the document is automatically saved.
- Increase productivity by real-time document sharing.
Cons of using Google Docs:
- Not very intuitive
- It may be confusing for some new users.
- If there isn’t a steady internet connection, this is a bit dangerous.
Dropbox Paper, a word processor and collaboration program owned by Dropbox, is a popular free alternative to Microsoft Word.
Dropbox Paper gives users more flexibility in how they produce documentation inside different projects and monitor timelines, tasks, and achievements.
It helps you create very simple word processing reports or documents, and it has an amazing ability to integrate images, audio, and video into documents.
The interface is very user-friendly and helps to concentrate on their content. Aside from text, users may also use multimedia content such as video, audio, and photographs.
When using Dropbox Paper, exchanging links to documents and invites to collaborate in projects is surprisingly simple.
- Create to-do lists and set deadlines.
- Sync document updates inside the project page.
- It is simple to invite anyone to work on projects with you.
- Create a number of individual tasks, each with its own set of milestones.
- Create changes to documentation in real-time so that all team members can see them.
Pros of using Dropbox Paper:
- Easy sharing
- It is simple for teammates to work together on a single document.
- It is extremely easy to make a document, edit it.
- It’s fast and works with all other devices.
WPS Office is a file sharing and collaboration suite developed to support organizations of all sizes in developing, editing, and sharing reports, documents, and spreadsheets with customers or teammates.
This software is available in various languages, including Russian, French, Spanish, German, Polish, English, and Portuguese.
WPS Writer has the same appearance as Microsoft Word. Aside from these features, the program has a tabbed browsing window that allows a user to access several documents simultaneously.
This is ideal if you’re looking for a free Word alternative that’s not only flexible for teams but also as interactive and smooth as its Microsoft equivalent.
- File Sharing
- Document Creation
- Notes Management
- Security and Encryption
- File Type Conversion
Pros of using WPS Office:
- Very easy to use.
- A pivot table is an excellent tool or function.
- Available in over 40 different languages.
- Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android are all supported.
Cons of using WPS Office:
- The advertisements are highly irritating.
- Some end-users may experience security issues.
The Hemingway app works on enhancing writing comprehension and consistency. It emphasizes the text in various colors depending on the issues it detects.
The color coding enables you to see the places that need to be fixed quickly. The app recommends improvements when you hover your mouse over any highlighted words.
The most recent edition of the Hemingway app provides formatting functionality that allows writers to add italic, bold font and use bullet headings to a text.
- Readability Score
- Formatting Features
- Directly publish to WordPress
- Write with Intensity and Simplicity
- Problems, Mistakes, and Errors of Writing are Color-Coded
- No need for an Internet connection.
Pros of using Hemmingway app:
- User-friendly interface.
- Easily handles long documents.
- Online and desktop versions are available.
- Color coding and feedback are very useful.
- For the online edition, no download or login is needed.
Cons of using Hemmingway app:
- It might not suit a writer’s personal style.
- It does not have spelling or grammar tests.
- There is no plugin for testing text in the browser.
- There is no saving functionality in the online edition.
- It can be difficult to use adverbs and specialized terminology.
Etherpad is an online text editor designed specifically for interactive editing in “very real-time.”
It can also display different colors to every author’s text.
This program also has a chatbox on the side to allow for metacommunication. chatboxEtherpad, as an online text reader, is specifically designed for interactive editing.
It is a free and open-source software for online document sharing. Helps every user to build a new shared paper known as a ‘pad.’
There is also a time slider that can be used to revisit previous activities also export and import functionality that enables users to translate documents to various formats and store collaterals for potential reference.
- Time Slider
- Version Control
- Multi-Player Editor
- API is Well-Documented
- Collaborative Editing in Real-Time
- Customizable Editing software
- Import/Export in a Variety of Formats
Pros of using Etherpad:
- Version Control
- Colors in Authorship
- Chat support is built-in.
- A large number of plugins are available.
- Documents Or Pads For Collaboration.
Cons of using Ehterpad:
- The address needs to memorize.
- No option to import and insert photos or videos into the document; just memo pad/typing.
- Only basic formatting features available(italic,bold,underline).
Zoho Writer is a member of the Zoho Office suite, which is a Microsoft Word alternative. It is a collection of collaboration applications that process documents and enable users to communicate when interacting with them.
Zoho Writer offers innovative real-time editing and mobile access to assist the author in taking control of the text.
Its user interface is simple and intuitive. The software has an auto-save function that saves the file as the user types it, making it easier to deal with.
- Safe Sharing
- Security Policies
- Admin Reports
- Team Management
- Online Collaboration
- Task Management
Pros of using Zoho Writer:
- It has text-editing facilities.
- Offline editing is possible with Zoho Writer.
- Files can be exchanged among participants within the platform.
- It has an easy-to-use dashboard.
- It helps you to maintain a history of paper iterations.
- It is inexpensive, simple to use, and can be used on any device.
Cons of using Zoho Writer:
- It doesn’t have a lot of text font styles.
- Importing documents take a long time.
- It is a little sluggish on low-powered computers.
SoftMaker Office is a commercial software platform with a free version named SoftMaker FreeOffice.
FreeOffice is a lightweight but full office package that includes all of the key functionality you’d require and expect from a modern office suite.
The TextMaker program in the suite helps you concentrate on document creation in the same way as you can in MS Word.
This suite includes critical editing capabilities and a few simple models for designing and editing documents.
Tables, diagrams, charts, shapes, and graphics are accessible, in addition to regular text formatting options.
It is available for Windows, Android, and Linux, allowing users to continue working on documents even though they are not present.
- Document Generation
- Notes Management
- Presentation Tools
- Choose between traditional and new user interfaces.
- Multiple records can be edited using a tabbed interface.
- Export as EPUB to conveniently convert documents into ebooks.
Pros of using SoftMaker:
- Gui with a fully adjustable
- Many operations are completed quickly and reliably.
- Desktop applications for Windows, macOS, and Linux.
Cons of using SoftMaker:
- There are few choices for reading records.
- With large worksheets, the output is sluggish.
- It lacks mobile applications and collaboration features.
- There are no recorded macros, and only scripted macros are usable for the Windows version.
LibreOffice is a versatile suite of office apps focused on unleashing innovation and growing competitiveness in communities, companies, charities, and government agencies worldwide.
It is a completely free and open-source product based on the OpenOffice codebase that provides word processing, support for the.doc and.docx file formats, and many of the functionality that a normal Microsoft Word user would need.
LibreOffice can create tidy and highly qualified documents of any kind, including emails, brochures, financial records, promotional presentations, scientific sketches, and diagrams, thanks to its clean user interface and feature-rich tools.
- Presentation Templates
- Templates and Extensions
- Collaborate with partners
- Quality Content for Excellent Presentations
- Word Processor that is both new and feature-rich.
- Edit a Wide Range of Documents
- With just a few clicks, you will create flawless documents.
Pros of using LibreOffice:
- Very user-friendly.
- It’s a complete workplace productivity suite.
- It runs smoothly on nearly any operating system.
- Actively maintained with timely and valuable updates.
- There is no need for an internet connection to access it.
Cons of using LibreOffice:
- User interface is a little outdated.
- Memory management of massive spreadsheets seems to be a little peculiar.
Jarte is a free word processor that is fast, convenient, and portable. Jarte’s specifications include a tabbed interface, portability, low required resources, fast loading times, and touchscreen support.
Since LibreOffice Writer can edit and save DOCX files, it is the perfect Microsoft Word alternative if you regularly work on documents with Microsoft Office users.
This software also provides built-in spell checking and export to HTML and PDF formats.
Allows users to attach images, tables, connections, and other Microsoft Word functions. Jarte editor includes a spell checker and the ability to install several languages.
The software is intended to assist students, writers, small business owners, and hobbyists with basic writing and editing activities.
The word processor only contains the basic functions and features important to actual people.
- Template Support
- Spelling Dictionaries
- Tabbed Interface
- Portable and compact
- Drag and Drop option
- Formatting Fonts and Paragraphs
- High-Quality Spell Checker with a Personalized User Dictionary
Pros of using Jarte:
- New documents are opened and loaded in a new tab.
- Data can be exported as HTML or PDF.
- Opens.rtf,.doc, and.docx archives.
- Documents are stored in three file formats:.rtf,.doc, and.txt.
- Fast loading and complete compatibility with Microsoft Word and WordPad.
Cons of using Jarte:
- There is no way to insert basic shapes, graphs, or clip arts.
- There are few choices for adjusting the location or positioning of items that have been inserted.
Many alternatives are available, whether you want a free locally built Microsoft Word alternative or an online one for faster communication and online file storage.
After discussing the different alternatives to Microsoft Word, it is clear that there are many applications for word processing.
The alternative mentioned above provides users with an overview of numerous Microsoft Word alternatives.