Microsoft Project is regarded as one of the best project management programs available, helping project managers create plans, allocate resources, monitor performance, handle budgets, and analyze workloads.
Microsoft Project is a fantastic free desktop-based project management and workflow optimization tool.
Despite its continued popularity, various Microsoft Project alternatives offer incredible features and advanced functionality.
In this cloud computing and accessibility, you cannot restrict how and when you access your data.
That is why we have compiled a list of ten fantastic tools deserving of being referred to as Microsoft Project alternatives.
Forecast is a resource management and organizing tool that allows you to monitor tasks using a Kanban board and to-do lists.
It is a strong combination of resource control and project management based on the premise that good programs necessitate both short and long-term preparation.
Also provides insights to monitor goals and timelines through reminders, attachments, and shareable files, making it simple to communicate them to teammates, stakeholders, and clients.
Its iOS and Android smartphone apps make it easy to handle teams and tasks anywhere. It has a 14-day free trial and three pricing packages: lite, pro, and monthly subscription.
Key features :
- Resource Management: Monitor the project’s capability.
- Project Management: Keep track of the project’s timeline and timesheets.
- Team Collaboration: It improves group projects.
- Project Accounting: It provides planning and accounting information for each project, as well as employee payroll.
- Market Intelligence: Analyzes reports enhancing business strategies.
Pros of using Forecast:
- It provides full and consistent perspectives over a user’s available resources.
- It simplifies expenditure and cost comparison; You can add it to the current tool stack.
- It has colorful, user-friendly resource maps that make it simple to interpret summary reports.
- Project managers may use the Kanban board and to-do list functionality to keep track of their staff and activities in a single program.
Cons of using Forecast:
- Time-consuming to log a structure.
- After completing the timesheet, there is no approve button.
Mavenlink is a single application that combines project management, time monitoring, resource allocation, and other features into one convenient location.
Mavenlink can connect to external facilities by integrating with a CRM such as Salesforce and an API. It enables you to determine the optimal resource required at each project stage by recognizing demand, capability, skills, and availability.
It comes with a clean, user-friendly platform for managing all of your team’s and project’s tasks. To achieve a more smooth workflow, you can combine it with other enterprise applications and systems, such as Slack, QuickBooks, G Suite.
It provides a 10-day free trial and subscription options such as team, experts, premier, and businesses, as well as customized pricing plans based on your company requirements.
Key features :
- Task Management
- Gantt Charts
- SSL encryption
- Sharing of files
- Custom branding
- Personnel planning
- Project summaries
- Task interdependence
- Collaboration within a team
- Email and Google integration
Pros of using Mavenlink:
- It works well with Google Drive.
- Track your time in granular detail.
- Provide a detailed project schedule.
- It provides a reliable reporting service for resource data.
- It serves as a central repository for all project information.
- Capacity management is efficient and simple to implement.
- It enables you to distinguish between convenient and safe task distribution.
Cons of using Mavenlink:
- Need more choices for customizing projects and work status.
- Advanced features may be a little pricey for small and mid-sized businesses.
- Additional features are only available in the Premier and Businesses pricing package.
Celoxis is a web-based resource management and planning software for managing projects, resources, issues, risks, timesheets, workflows, and collaboration.
Its project dashboards and reporting options are fully flexible, allowing you to grasp resources, activities, and project facts in a configuration or structure that works best for the team.
Celoxis, power control capabilities include specific resource loads, resource allocation management, resource capability, and performance.
It has a free trial period of a few days, and its monthly pricing plans provide cloud-based and on-premises per account on an annual basis.
- Project Management: It includes project proposal monitoring, project preparation, performance monitoring, reporting, and portfolio management.
- Dynamic Dashboards and Reports: Using custom report areas, drill-down maps, widgets, configuration, and various dashboards, generate 360-degree perspectives around the project.
- Team and Client Collaboration: Including features such as version control, sharable schedules, web conversations and meetings, mentions and reminders, activity stream, and a free software platform for team and client communication.
- Time & Expense: Use multi-level permits, inbuilt clocks, automatic notifications, and personalized rules to keep track of time and expenses.
- Enhanced User Interfaces: This tool is compatible with Android, iOS, Windows Mobile, Tizen, and every other OS that supports a web browser.
Pros of using Celoxis:
- For successful task monitoring, it has an in-app timer feature.
- The widgets and templates can be modified by groups or individuals as needed.
- It measures the number of project activities completed by each customer and aids in efficiency comparison.
- Celoxis has Gantt charts that are simple and cooperative
Cons of using Celoxis:
- You may have some trouble creating reports
- The menu layout is complex.
Monday.com is a project management software that allows businesses to organize activities, projects, and teamwork.
It is a cloud-based Work OS that allows teams to quickly create workflow apps to manage their procedures, projects, and day-to-day tasks.
This tool is a wonderful alternative to Microsoft Project because it operates similarly to a spreadsheet that is easier to use and adjust without the need for parameters.
One of the advantages of this Microsoft Project choice over the MS product is its user-friendly interface. Simple systems must provide a consistent explanation of all tasks to be completed.
- Updates are relevant.
- Tags and Keywords
- Tracking due dates.
- Email notifications.
- Customizable fields.
- Workflow supervision
- Time monitoring by the project.
Pros of using Monday.com:
- Several integrations.
- Customizable workflows
- Project and relationship management.
- Onboarding is simple and straightforward.
- Quickly build helpful automation and workflows.
Cons of using Monday.com:
- There is no export or import.MPP files.
- It takes some time to upgrade the mobile versions.
- There is no traditional Gantt chart, but rather something called a “timeline.”
MS Project resource control and coordination involve using common management methods to communicate project assignments to team members and supervising resource scheduling using various views such as Grid, Board, and Timeline (Gantt chart).
MS Projects improves resource control and preparation by allowing you to open several projects in the same window and evaluate all resources.
Provides a 30-day free trial and a monthly subscription model. Key features:
- Planning and Scheduling: Schedule prioritization, task coordination, and team calendar are all included.
- Display the timeline of a project in Gantt Charts.
- Working together and communicating with coworkers.
- Roadmap: By bringing together various project types from around the organization, you can create visual, collaborative roadmaps.
- Portfolio analysis and selection: You can simulate various scenarios and maximize your market.
Pros of using MS Project:
- You can create a Gantt map from a spreadsheet
- It provides cooperative project prototype images for reference.
- Optimization module for role plans/aims
- It is simple to integrate with other Microsoft applications.
Cons of using MS Project:
- It has drawbacks when it comes to collaboration tools.
- There are just a few customization options.
Wrike is a flexible online project management and work collaboration platform that allows teams to complete tasks quickly and efficiently.
It includes tools that enable users to improve the planning process, organize communication, and standardize workflow even though they are geographically separated.
Being a versatile tool that offers teams of all sizes a multi-dimensional project solution. With real-time reporting, you can easily see the progress of all of your team’s projects.
This all-in-one approach has the potential to be an effective Microsoft Project option and much more. It provides real-time planning, scheduling, and management.
- Reporting and Collaboration
- Customizable user groups
- Task-based time monitoring
- Dashboards that can be customized.
- Organizing, planning, and monitoring a project
- Gantt charts are used to visualize project schedules.
- Multiple performance monitoring reports are available.
Pros of using Wrike:
- Portfolio management
- Enhancement of resources.
- Options for customization.
- Collaboration within a group.
- Management and reporting of tasks.
- Simple to use, with an intuitive user interface.
Cons of using Wrike:
- Onboarding new team members are difficult.
- It takes time to understand and requires the use of a Wrike expert.
- Overall, the user interface is not as attractive as that of competitors.
LiquidPlanner is one of the market’s most unique and complicated work-management systems.
It is a centralized platform that allows teams to track time, organize resources, manage projects and portfolios, and communication.
Its easy drag-and-drop layout, social interaction tools, and integration make it a robust software for any size and complication project.
This Microsoft Project alternative provides real-time visibility into the performance and risks of your projects.
The software’s intelligent resource management function effectively manages your tasks and effectively delivers your project on schedule.
- Time tracking
- Report management
- Task interdependence
- Budgeting and oversight
- Management of resources
- Reminders and notifications
- Scheduling based on priorities
- Dashboard that can be customized
Pros of using LiquidPlanner:
- Responsive website
- Unique dynamic characteristics
- Automated resource allocation.
- Management of project portfolios.
- Simple drag-and-drop functionality.
- Rich resource monitoring and management.
Cons of using LiuidPlanner:
- It requires some time to study and set up.
- Invoicing or billing features are not available.
- It can be hard to handle a large number of projects.
Zoho Projects is a Microsoft Project alternative with a straightforward, user-friendly interface and a mobile app.
It provides project planning and budgeting, allowing managers to describe project activities, allocate them to team members, determine operating expenses, and track progress on ongoing tasks.
Through Zoho projects, you can divide the complicated task into smaller subtasks understandable tasks and share updates with the team member.
It offers a wide range of Gantt chart characteristics and skills at a low price, resulting in an all-around project management experience. A user-friendly Gantt chart is operated using basic drag-and-drop actions.
- A wide variety of charts and reports are designed for resource management.
- Gantt charts are used to visualize and monitor the status of the project.
- Forums with the ability to add different teammates for longer conversations.
- Issue monitoring and comprehensive reporting are used to identify and resolve issues quickly.
- The social feed consists of status updates and activity streams about specific operations.
- Timesheets are used to determine how much time each teammate invests on a specific task and finds inefficiencies in the workflow.
Pros of using the Zoho Project:
- User-friendly interface
- No limitation on creating several projects.
- Gives you more freedom to customize your tasks.
- Abilities to collaborate on projects with outside vendors/participants
- It’s possible to work on several projects at once, and switching between them is easy.
Cons of using Zoho Project:
- It isn’t very intuitive.
- Dashboards need better customization.
- It is sometimes buggy and suffers from service interruptions.
Proofhub is another project management system that allows you to complete your project work more quickly and collaboratively.
In addition to online collaboration, this software provides tools for communication, accessibility, progress monitoring, and transparency for improved efficiency. Users have ProofHub greater efficiency, shorter delivery times, and higher member satisfaction.
This single platform allows decision-makers and managers to generate and share plans, reports, to-do tasks, daily assignments, calendar achievements, and Gantt charts.
Companies can meet requirements and compete with other businesses with the help of this software.
- Task Management and Project Reporting.
- Gantt charts, Kanban boards, and calendar views are all available.
- Facilitates managers to work effectively with the project member and clients.
- Offer project leaders complete control and authority over the project tasks.
- Assists team members in planning, communicating, and organizing their work.
Pros of using ProofHub:
- Useful templates.
- Robust and reliable tool.
- Collaboration within the team.
- Create high-quality, timely reports
- It is so smooth, intuitive, and simple to use.
Cons of using ProofHub:
- Integrations are limited.
- The tool is very basic, and it may not be suitable for large organizations or complicated projects.
Tom’s Planner is a web-based paid project management software that enables anyone to generate, communicate, and distribute Gantt charts online using drag & drop. The software provides a genuinely user-friendly Gantt chart software.
A Saas tool lets people build project schedules online, discuss or communicate with the team members, and then submit them to publish.
It is a more appealing alternative for people who still use spreadsheets for project planning because it is much easier to use than MS Projects or other full-fledged PM tools, which some would find too complicated for their requirements.
- Bar graph
- Useful Templates
- Drag and Drop feature
- Management of Resources
- Monitoring the Progress of a Task
- Scheduling and planning for a project
- Application is truly simple to use
Pros of using Tom’s Planner:
- Collaborates and discusses with team members.
- There is no need for a lengthy installation procedure.
- Real-time communication with teammates and clients.
- Auto-save features ensure that your work is never lost.
- Create schedules and plans with a straightforward drag-and-drop interface.
Cons of using Tom’s Planner:
- The user interface needs to upgrade.
- The user interface is a little outdated, and some of the functions are a little clumsy.
If you’re considering switching to one of the Microsoft Project alternatives, think carefully about how the project management software will assist you in succeeding.
Although many Microsoft Project alternatives are available, we have tried our best to assemble this list and remain impartial in our evaluations.
Do you think there’s a better MS Project choice that we’ve overlooked? Please let us know.