An antivirus is software designed to detect and remove malware from a computer or mobile device.
More advanced antivirus programs use machine learning, heuristic analysis, and cloud-based malware directories to detect and remove zero-day threats and very sophisticated malware.
All of the best antiviruses offer real-time protection, so they scan every file before it executes to ensure malware never even starts running on your device.
Why do you need an antivirus?
Millions of internet users are hacked every year — their personal information is traded on the dark web, their debit cards and PayPal accounts are hijacked, their devices get destroyed, and their work is stolen.
No matter what device or platform you’re using, a capable and comprehensive security suite against malware, ransomware, spyware and other types of threats with proper internet security protections is the only way to protect yourself from a wide range of security threats — including malware, phishing, network exploits, identity theft, data mining, and privacy breaches.
Here listed are our top picks for 10 Best Antivirus software for your PC:
McAfee antivirus software protects your computer and data against all major cyber threats, such as viruses, ransomware, malware, unwanted programs, spyware, and more.
The software is configured with advanced optimization tools, helping your PC perform smoothly.
This antivirus enables the protection of data across all types of devices, whether it’s a PC, Mac, Smartphone,
A subscription for McAfee AntiVirus Plus lets you protect every Windows, Android, macOS, and iOS device in your household. Other products may score better in testing, but none offer a deal like this.
McAfee Total Protection delivers the goods when it comes to features, providing a password manager, secure file deletion, and great anti-spam countermeasures, plus a few PC speedup tools.
Those bargain hunters looking for a great deal will certainly find one here but bear in mind that McAfee’s core antivirus capabilities have seen somewhat mixed ratings from the independent test labs.
McAfee also produces a Total Protection Family suite which adds a laudable system of parental controls and ups its coverage to 10 devices, which could be worth a punt for those with kids to protect online.
- Maximum devices covered: 1 (5 with Multi-Device version)
- Stand out features: Anti-spam, VPN, speedup tools
- Top value with bundled VPN
- It comes with the communication layer, which enables collaborating with different technologies.
- It analyzes advanced threats and quickly blocks them from impacting the system of users.
- Multiple defense mechanisms work together and take action against threats. It also provides intuitive reports, which help quickly
- The users can integrate it with other operating systems, which include Mac, Windows, and Linux.
- There are many online threats and viruses that affect your system due to streaming. This antivirus saves users from such threats
- It helps detect any online threat or fraud and keeps your system protected for a long time.
Pros of McAfee:
- Protection for all your Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS devices
- Very good malware protection score
- Excellent detection of malicious and fraudulent websites
- Robust firewall
- Virus protection promise
- Includes Ransom Guard, PC Boost, and many bonus features
Cons of McAfee:
- PC Boost web speedup still works only in Chrome
- Mac edition less feature-rich than Windows or Android
- Even fewer features for iOS
Bitdefender Total Security is the finest security solution developed by Bitdefender, protecting your Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android devices, with no compromise on performance or battery life.
Bitdefender, by contrast, packs a huge collection of security-centric features, among them password management, enhanced security for online transactions, ransomware protection, and even a VPN.
- On-demand & on-access virus scanning that runs in the background
- Essential antivirus protection for personal and gaming computers
- No time-consuming scans, no sudden lag, no ads out of the blue
- Multiple layers of ransomware protection keep your files safe from encryption
- Advanced filtering system detects suspicious web page behavior and prevents your sensitive financial data from falling into the hands of hackers.
- It prevents phishing or online fraud when you shop, bank, or browse.
- Scan for security holes and vulnerabilities with just one click
Pros of Bitdefender:
- Outstanding scores in independent lab tests and our web protection tests
- Enhanced ransomware protection
- Active Do Not Track
- Banking protection
- Offers a virtual private network, or VPN
- Many security-centered bonus features
Cons of Bitdefender:
- Unlimited VPN access requires a separate subscription.
- With all real-time protection disabled, ransomware-specific features missed one uncommon sample.
Kaspersky Antivirus is an antivirus program developed by Kaspersky Lab to protect users from malware threats and is primarily designed for computers running Microsoft Windows and Mac.
Kaspersky Anti-Virus features include real-time protection, detection, and removal of viruses, trojans, worms, spyware, adware, keyloggers, malicious tools, and auto-dialers, as well as detection and removal of rootkits.
- Delivers real-time antivirus protection
- Blocks ransomware, cryptolockers & more
- Prevents cryptomining malware infections
- Lets your PC perform as it’s designed to
- Simplifies security – easy to set up and use
- Includes ‘bad content’ blocker, GPS tracker & more – on PC, Mac & mobile
- Manages & stores passwords and syncs them for access on PC, Mac & mobile
- Backs up your precious photos, music & files – on PC
Pros of Kaspersky:
- Effective ransomware protection
- Good scores in our hands-on tests
- Full-scale phone and live chat support
- Bonus scans for privacy and performance
Cons of Kaspersky:
- Bonus scans significantly overlap each other
- Vulnerability scan offers little information
Norton Security is antivirus software that is capable and comprehensive of detecting and removing malware, ransomware, spyware, and other types of threats effectively from your devices.
If you’re searching for fast, efficient, and, above all, reliable antivirus software, Norton Security is the right choice for you.
On top of that, with it, you’ll get access to advanced tools and features like a VPN, password manager, Family Norton parental controls, and Cloud Backup.
- Full-featured protection
- One of the most user-friendly and intuitive options on the market
- Offers great value for money
- Protection for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices
- It doesn’t need much processing power to run in the background
- Various Norton Security packages to choose from
Pros of Norton Security:
- Norton works quite quickly and is efficient enough to detect threats
- It is very easy and simple to install and is without any complications and irrelevant inquiries.
- It protects live against all kinds of malware.
- It has an intelligent Firewall for Windows and Mac.
- It has an easy-to-use Password Manager.
- Submit a Cloud Backup.
- SafeCam to block unauthorized access to the webcam.
Cons of Norton Security:
- The user interface of this antivirus is not many users friendly.
- A little bit difficult for beginners.
- Sometimes it takes much time while scanning the whole system as compare to other software.
- The system lacks protection against computer worms in P2P networks (peer to peer).
TotalAV is a completely safe, secure, and high-powered antivirus software that works well for your devices. It protects your devices against viruses, malware, Trojans, worms, and many other threats.
It is a powerful malware scanner with good web security features and various data privacy protections, all inside an easy-to-use and intuitive interface.
TotalAV’s malware scanner is excellent antivirus software that catches all malware on your Windows computer, MacBook, Android, and iOS phones.
- The advanced anti-malware engine will protect your digital world against infections caused by many types of malware
- Anti-phishing protection.
- System clean-up.
- Safe Browsing (VPN) encrypts your browsing data, making you anonymous and impossible to track or hack
- Password manager.
- Checks downloads, installs, and executables for viruses each time your computer accesses them
- Data breach monitoring.
- Identity theft monitoring
Pros of TotalAV:
- Strong protection against malicious URL
- Solid phishing protection
- It comes with user-friendly apps for all four major platforms
- One of the least demanding antiviruses in terms of system resources
- It offers an impressive list of optimization tools
- Around-the-clock customer protection
- The free version is a nice touch
- Speedy full scans
Cons of TotalAV:
- No Independent Test results; average scores in hands-on malware tests
- Advanced firewall protection is only available with the paid plans
- No real-time protection with the free version
- Quick scans can take up to 15 minutes to complete
Webroot SecureAnywhere is a lightweight antivirus and anti-malware tool.
Webroot offers different packages that include protections from malware, such as viruses, ransomware, phishing, keyloggers (who hack into your Wi-Fi connection to monitor your keyboard keystrokes), and spyware.
Webroot also has a firewall, a network protection monitor, and webcam security that protects your devices well.
Webroot SecureAnywhere offers a basic scanning feature that checks files, folders, and directories that detect viruses and malware.
Users can choose between different scans that include running a full system scan, a quick scan, a deep scan for rootkits, trojans, and other threats, as well as a custom scan that only checks specifically selected files and directories.
- Identity theft protection
- Real-time protection for secure browsing
- Fast scanning process
- Webcam protection
- It takes incredibly little space in the memory of the device
- It offers many advanced features
- It has a large malware database
- Provides decent protection against ransomware
Pros of Webroot:
- Based in the cloud and thus lightweight
- It offers many security features for advanced users
- Blocks threats and malicious URLs quite efficiently
- Affordable prices, especially for extended subscriptions
- Compatible with all platforms, even with outdated ones
Cons of Webroot:
- It doesn’t offer support over the phone or live chat
- Advanced users might find it not that customizable
PCProtect antivirus is a decent solution for the protection of your devices. PC Protect detects and removes viruses, Trojans, and malware and protects data and privacy.
In addition to antivirus protection, PC Protect offers a set of tools that increase your PC performance.
PCProtect has almost the ultimate package of functions and features that can protect both a personal computer for a regular user and a network of devices as it supports different platforms.
The program automatically checks all downloads and immediately removes detected threats. PC Protect detects and blocks malicious internet addresses and signs, increasing security during browsing.
PC Protect works on different devices, protecting them, among others, from viruses, malware, and spyware, in addition to having advanced security features.
Any PC Protect plan features have advanced VPN protection and the algorithms that ensure the safety of your online activity, such as emails, wireless hotspots, and personal data availability.
- Available for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android
- Real-time antivirus
- Manual scanning virus
- Adware prevention
- Personal firewall
- VPN service
Pros of PCProtect:
- Supports different platforms, including the mobile ones
- Easy to install and set
- Multiple device connection in Pro and Ultimate plan
- Personal firewall
Cons of PCProtect:
- Scans may be lengthy
- After a year of use, its corporate price grows significantly
- Can make your device slower
- Collects user data
- Non-priority support service is not the best
ESET is one of the best anti-malware scanners which protects your devices by detecting 100% of the malware, including ransomware, trojans, spyware, and rootkits.
ESET’s scanner uses an extensive malware database to detect known malware files, as well as advanced heuristics and machine learning to catch zero-day threats that aren’t yet on a database.
ESET’s malware scanner is advanced. It uses heuristics and machine learning to identify malware, and its cloud-based scanning barely slowed down my computer, even during full system scans.
ESET offers some decent extra features, including device encryption, advanced diagnostic tools, and anti-theft protection.
ESET offers a wide range of packages to choose from, and they all provide the same simple and intuitive antivirus engine, with good customer support and some really good features.
- Compatible with all Windows versions
- Packages for Mac, Linux, and Android are available
- Malware, viruses, spyware, and ransomware protection
- Built-in email scanning feature
- Automatic real-time scanning
- AMSI protection module
- Phishing protection
- Medium system impact
- Personal firewall
- Parental control
- Game mode
- Safe browser mode
Pros of ESET:
- Easy to use
- The basic option is a great value
- Free tool for social media scanning
- Real-time scanning
- Game-mode is a perk
- Available for Mac, Linux, and Android
Cons of ESET:
- No free version
- Malware detection is not 100% flawless
- May slow down your computer a bit
BullGuard is antivirus software that protects your devices which is now enhanced with more extensive machine learning capabilities, including multiple layers of protection.
Unique Dynamic Machine Learning monitors everything on your device, enabling real-time detection and blocking potentially malicious behavior before it does any damage, even when your device is not connected to the internet.
On Access, the engine protects your devices even if you never run a manual scan and when you’re connected to the internet.
New cloud detection technology in BullGuard detects threats as they emerge in real-time, without the need to update signatures on the device.
- Triple-Layer Malware Protection
- BullGuard’s Vulnerability Scanner feature looks for all risky practices
- Game Booster
- BullGuard comes with its own browser
- The browser offers layered protection against some of the most dangerous types of malware in existence
- A powerful firewall that offers end-to-end protection
- BullGuard Internet Security offers parental controls
- Its comprehensive identity protection protects your most important information and alarms you if any suspicious activity is detected.
Pros of BullGuard:
- Very light on CPU and Fast Scan
- Strong malware removal score.
- Real-time protection and updates
- Great Spam Filter
- Good ratings in Antiphishing
- Quick performance on quick and full scans
- Slick UI
Cons of BullGuard:
- Pricey option
- The free version only supports Android
Emsisoft Anti-Malware is an antivirus software and proactive protection against all types of online threats.
This software will detect and block all malicious activity on your devices, including unsafe websites and phishing attacks.
This software product effectively detects and blocks viruses, worms, adware, spyware, adware, trojans, keyloggers, bots, dialers, and many other types of online threats. It will stop the danger before it infects your computer and does any harm.
Antivirus constantly updates and is very easy to use. It includes two powerful anti-malware engines: Emsisoft and Bitdefender.
It allows you to achieve the greatest results while taking minimal computer resources. So, it will work well, even in a quite weak system, and provide reliable and effective protection. You will be able to surf the internet safely — no threats will affect you.
- Safe web-browsing with Emsisoft Browser Security
- Centrally manage your devices at home
- Remote security management from any device
- It uses a four-layer prevention dual-engine to fight viruses and malware.
Pros of Emsisoft Anti-Malware:
- Excellent efficiency in the malware removal tests
- The behavioral detection component successfully handles encryption lockdown
- Browser-independent web-security
- File guard to protect your important data
- Constant automatic updates
- Low-cost product
- Free scanner without active protection
Cons of Emsisoft Anti-Malware:
- Behavioral protection was helpless against the encryptor in the autoload
- No password manager
- No webcam and microphone protection
All the antivirus software has common functions to detect threats and block them. With so many antivirus software on the internet with many features and different packages to choose from, you must consider each software’s features before installing it on your devices and subscribing to a package.
It should be easier to narrow down your options and find an antivirus that meets your specific usage requirements from the above list.